Trentino has great awareness of the importance of land conservation. It boasts a BES (Italian Equitable and Sustainable Wellness index) that is among the highest in Italy, and gives great relevance to environmental sustainability. Energy production from renewable sources (in particular, from hydroelectric plants) is consistent and goes hand in hand with excellent waste management, good air and environment quality, and excellent levels of sustainable mobility.
International initiatives encourage the development of entrepreneurial activities in the energy and green tech fields. These include Habitech, the Trentino technological district for energy and the environment, which operates in the fields of construction, energy and mobility. Habitech brings together over 8,000 employees and 300 companies, and participates in the European Innovation Partnership “Cities and Smart Communities” and the National Technology Cluster “Technologies for Smart Communities”.
From an economic point of view, the construction and energy sector is very significant both in terms of added value (about 1,308 million Euro) and number of companies (7,900 units).
Trentino is the promoter of ARCA (Architecture Comfort Environment), the first certification system designed and built exclusively for buildings with wooden supporting structures, which guarantees safety, energy efficiency, comfort and sustainability.
From a technical-scientific point of view, Trentino can count on the presence of numerous specialised research and innovation centers, among which:
- University of Trento with the Centro Universitario Edifici Intelligenti (University Center for Intelligent Buildings) - CUNEDI;
- CNR with the Istituto per la Valorizzazione del Legno e delle Specie Arboree ( Institute for the Enhancement of Wood and Tree Species) - IVALSA;
- Fondazione Bruno Kessler, with its Applied Research on Energy Systems;
- Fondazione Edmund Mach, with its Centro Trasferimento tecnologico (Center for Technology Transfer ), engaged in biomass research, Foxlab and the European Forest Institute;
- Trentino Sviluppo and its incubator of green tech companies, Progetto Manifattura;
- MUSE Science Museum.